The Gravel Road to Last
When ‘Less’ is truly ‘More’
Have you heard how “less is more” applies to a gravel road?
When it’s built with Tough Cell geocells, it does. Here’s how.
The Old Paradigm
If you are a motorist on paved roads and a road construction decision-maker, have you always thought that the maintenance of gravel roads always requires:
- more attention
- more gravel
- more work?
And if you don’t provide these, you would get:
- more rutting
- more potholes
- more deterioration
- more stresses to the subgrade?
Things Have Changed
Paradox Access has combined geotechnical civil engineering with Tough Cell cellular confinement technology, a geosynthetic innovation that:
- works with minimal site preparation
- maximizes typical road infill materials’ strength
- improves the modulus and stiffness of the road base allowing thinner layers
- keeps gravel attrition and spread to a minimum
The result is gravel road construction and maintenance that demands a lot less of a lot of things.
The Tough Cell geocell technology reinforces the base and subbase of the roadway (the structural pavement) by up to three times. As a result, the road is stronger with as little as half the thickness of a conventional road.
A Tough Cell road means:
- Minimal site prep
- Shallower excavation
- Eliminate need for soil replacement / consolidation
- No need for muskeg removal
- Reduced import of aggregates
- Reduced infill material
- Accelerated construction
- Less rutting
- Lower CO2 emissions
- Reduced material attrition and
- Lower capital cost
- No Road Bans
- Less frequent maintenance
And of course, reduced construction schedules with less materials and more durable construction, it means a lot less money over the lifetime of the road.
Is there More?
With a Tough Cell road, not everything shrinks. There are some things that grow:
- Increased budget surpluses
- Longer service life
- Ongoing peace of mind
- More time for other things
With a distinguished history of providing heavy duty road construction service, Paradox Access Solutions has been applying its expertise to gravel, access and haul road construction methods.
The most important thing to increase with a gravel road constructed with Tough Cell is value – today and for the long term.