Tough Cell: Technical Overview
Paradox Access Solutions is Canada’s exclusive distributor of Tough Cell. Tough Cell is used for soil confinement, stabilization, and reinforcement in a wide variety of load support and civil engineering applications, such as base reinforcement in:
- railroad tracks
- worksite pads
- paved and unpaved roads
- pipeline construction
- tank farms
Tough Cell is manufactured by PRS. Its construction enables a stronger and stiffer geocell with higher durability, higher tensile strength, greater resistance to creep and high temperatures, and greater dimensional stability than commonly-used HDPE-based geocells / geowebs or geogrids.
Tough Cell meets the fundamental goals of civil engineering construction solutions – high performance, fast installation and lower costs, particularly in problematic soils with low CBRs, difficult or remote locations, and where aggregate resources are limited and expensive. Click here to download our informational brochure on Tough Cell.
- Improve layer modulus with non-cohesive fill – Tough Cell enables use of local non-cohesive fill, granular soils, and recycled material instead of expensive base layer aggregate. This lowers initial capital costs and reduces the hauling costs and environmental impacts of scarce aggregates; the long-term confinement prevents aggregate degradation and loss, and extends the road life.
- Reduce layer thickness – Tough Cell’s cell hoop strength, wall stiffness, and passive resistance enable a reduction in the thickness of structural support elements – both in the substrata and the wearing course, further reducing capital costs.
- Long-term performance – Tough Cell’s dimensional stability and fatigue resistance under loading, stress, and extreme environmental conditions aligns product life-span with long-term road engineering standards.
- Easy and fast deployment – Tough Cell’s folded sections are economic to deliver to site, and installation can be performed easily and quickly by Paradox Access Solutions’ experienced work crews in all weather conditions.
- Cost effective – Tough Cell’s installation process, reduced infill requirements, and extended life-span result in savings in time, equipment, manpower and costs during construction phases, while roads last longer and incur less operating and maintenance costs over their life-span.
Tough Cell Beam Effect
Vertical loading on the Tough Cell cellular confinement system with compacted granular material creates a semi-rigid slab, or beam effect, over soft soils and muskeg. This beam effect distributes the load evenly and effectively over a wider are, decreasing differential settlement of soft subgrades, which improves shear strength and enhances load-bearing capacity.
As shown in the diagram, the beam exhibits elastic behavior for the entire Tough Cell reinforced layer, thereby reducing stresses to the subgrade. The zone of confinement created by Tough Cell is about 5 cm higher than the cell wall height and applicable to any structural layer. The beam effect was verified by extensive testing at the University of Kansas and the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
Non-cohesive granular infill
Tough Cell can be deployed using materials that are unusable by 2D planar geosynthetics. Non-cohesive material such as sand attains great strength and stiffness when confined in Tough Cell geocells. The 3D vertical zone of influence enables the use of poorly graded and fine granular materials, including local native soils, quarry sands, and recycled asphalt (RAP) or concrete/cement rubble for heavy load support applications such as heavy cyclical loading on unpaved roads, heavy traffic pavements, and railway substructures.
Low CBRs and muskeg
Tough Cell is the only geocell that breaks the subgrade barrier. No longer confined to weak subgrade soils with low California Bearing Ratios (CBRs), Tough Cells add value to each layer of the structural pavement, even to a base with a higher CBR. Paradox Access Solutions has extensive experience in designing roads and deploying Tough Cell as the most cost-effective solution for roads in muskeg and saturated soils where the CBR is less than 1 (CBR < 1).
Watch some videos of how Tough Cell is applied to work pads, paved roads, and unpaved roads.
- Highest performance geosynthetic on the market
- Longer lasting roads and pads with less maintenance
- Reduce aggregate quantity by 50% or more
- Withstands temperatures of -50°C to +50°C
- Uses inexpensive local infill, RAP, or soil
- Easy and fast installation
- Reduces maintenance costs
- The long-term design strength derived from geogrid / geocell technology
- Saves time, money and resources
- Polymeric alloy with highest stiffness and strength available
- Significantly greater lifespan than competitors’ HDPE geoweb / geocell
- Significant investments in research and development, and engineering
- Co-operation and testing with leading institutions worldwide
- Highest and most reliable industry standards available
TOTAL CUSTOMER SATISFACTION:
- Comprehensive end-to-end consulting and support
- Customer assistance for planning, design and installation
- Engineer-certified designs