Why use fir mats? Because not all access issues require the same solution.
Paradox Access Solutions is committed to provide you with fit-for-purpose access matting. In cases where the terrain to be crossed or the loads to be moved doesn’t warrant a premium oak mat, we provide a cost-effective alternate swamp mat product such as Douglas fir or hybrid matting, or pre-used oak mats. Paradox also has compelling rent and lease options available. We have an access solution for you.
Fir mats can do the job of oak mats, but they don’t last as long (2-3 years for fir vs 5-7 for oak). Being a softwood, fir will incur more damage under regular heavy vehicle use. For our Canadian customers, the advantages of using fir are
- They are cheaper in Canada due to the avoidance of USD exchange and added shipping costs for the heavier mats
- Fir timber is sourced locally in British Columbia
- They are less expensive to buy initially
- The mats are significantly lighter than oak mats (1800 lbs vs 3200 lbs per mat)
- They offer significant transport cost savings as you can load more of the lighter-weight mats per Super B load than you can oak mats
- Fir mats are more durable than other softwood mat options such as spruce or pine mats
- If properly installed and removed in the right application fir mats should provide 2-3 years of reliable service
Disadvantages of using fir mats include
- They are weaker, not able to withstand the same loading pressure as our hardwood mats
- They are much more susceptible to handling and placement damage
- Double-matting may be required in some areas to obtain the same useful life as hardwood mats, negating the cost savings associated with the initial purchase
- Shorter lifespan when compared to hardwood – if you need multi-year payback from your investment oak mats may provide better ROI over your total lifecycle
Fir mats perform best when the handling needs are minimalized, ie, they are placed once and used for 2-3 years. In situations where you intend to handle the mats more often, a hardwood or hybrid hardwood/softwood mat are better choices. Paradox will work with you to explore all options and help you determine your best access solution. We are experts in the business.
Custom Matting Solutions
Whether or not it is fir mats that are found to be your fit-for-purpose matting choice, know that all our access mat products are made to industry-accepted standard sizes. We can also make mats to meet your specified dimensions or to a custom size or design. Utilizing our in-house technical expertise, Paradox can design custom solutions to the most complicated requirements. Our end-to-end design/manufacture/supply/install turnkey capabilities means you can rest assured knowing your temporary access worries are in the best care possible. We guarantee it!
Comprehensive Experience. Impartial Advice. Trust Paradox.