CLT Mats – Are They the Right Choice for Your Matting Needs?
Paradox Access Solutions are experts in evaluating your temporary access requirements, then designing your fit-for-purpose problem resolution. We have experience using all matting products; your needs get addressed using non-biased engineering methodology. We’ll let you know pros and cons of each matting method from a total life-cycle analysis, which is needed to truly determine the right solution. Paradox’s mission is to ensure you do not buy unnecessarily-expensive matting products when other, cheaper but completely suitable alternatives exist. We’ll guarantee that you get the best access solution, tailored to your unique needs.
Cross-Laminated Timber, or CLT Mats, are made with engineered prefabricated CLT panels. Advantages of using CLT in access mats include:
- Lightweight yet strong
- Can be prefabricated into varying thicknesses, widths and lengths, making CLT suitable for swamp mat, crane mat, and rig mat production
- High impact resistance
- Reduced shipping costs (more CLT mats per load than traditional wood mats)
- Do not diamond (one-piece, rigid panel)
- Replaceable fingers on access mats
- Can be engineered to custom sizes, thicknesses and shapes
- Solid matting top reduces tripping hazard and is easy to clean
Like rubber mats, CLT mats provide a compelling alternative to the more commonly seen mats…so why wouldn’t you use CLT? Here’s the disadvantages of using CLT in access mats:
- Their lightweight and solid construction causes them to float in wet and muddy situations
- Extra expense for double-matting to prevent floating in mud – defeats weight advantage
- They become very slippery when wet and become a safety hazard
- Mats broken in the field cannot be repaired – expensive to replace due to field costs
- They tend to bounce and flutter under traffic transits and need to be repositioned often
- Environmental issues around end-of-life disposal of CLT material – only suitable for grinding and use a fuel
- Some glues used in the lamination process are environmentally unfriendly.
CLT mats definitely have their applications, but are not ideal in all situations. We’ll help you with all selection considerations, and help you arrive at an informed decision on your access matting solution. That’s our promise to you!
Honesty in Assessment. Integrity in Design. Trust Paradox.